Wednesday, March 31, 2010

THE OBVIOUS POWER OF THE PULPIT

Nowadays, society is more conscious than ever about the power of religious´pulpits . Well, it has taken us 19 centuries to realize it…What about the power of a teacher´s word?, Where is the line between knowledge and opinion?, Where is the limit in education? Should a teacher talk about politics if it is not related to the subject itself?.
I am basque, and I have known the basque public university since 2000. I have seen people attending classes with bodyguards and people taken to jail because of some ridiculous stuff. Both situations are sad.
However it is clear and obvious which ones are the “political correct rules” within our society. In general, spanish young people are ashamed of conservative thinking, besides the elections which are private, the people assume certain conservative thinkings are politically incorrect . The recent dictatorship has something to do with it. I would say it is a pleasure If it would be real, but it is not .
Nevertheless within the Basque country the situation is a little different . There has been a nacionalist party governing since democracy for not so long. That means, it has been the correct and accepted thinking for about 30 years and most of the non nacionalist thinkings have been prosecuted by ETA. So If you say something against the conservative non nationalist party it is OK, but If you respect them you are an idiot.
Sorry, I am not conservative, I doubt I could fit any political label . But I think I am far away from the right and even counting on that I do not undestand why I have to listen coments against them in a greek history class. I do not understand it. I was taugth on respect to everybody .I migth be an idiot . And my educators too.
So..Should a teacher get involved in politics ? , What is the final message of it?, What is the final purpose?
Their power scares .

No comments: